Screen Reader

Money2The Disabilities Trust is keen to signpost our service users to support services that can offer advice and help in relation to the upcoming welfare changes.

Personal Independence Payment

The non-means tested Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will gradually be phased out from April 2013 and replaced with a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

All current DLA claimants will need to reapply for PIP through a paper form and possibly a face to face assessment.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have said that when the claimant or those supporting them completes the form there is space to provide supporting medical evidence. It is important that you complete this as fully as you can, as it may help determine whether you need to have a face to face assessment.

Medical evidence does not have to be provided by just those with medical qualifications, it should also be those that know the most about how your condition affects your daily life.

For example, if you have trouble making budgeting decisions and have had to use a debt agency for help and advice, ask them to provide a short summary of the support they have given you to help consolidate your debts.  This could highlight whether you are able to complete budgeting decisions to a reasonable standard.