The information on this page is designed for health and social care professionals including Social Workers, Care and Case Managers, GPs, hospital staff.

Who do we support?

All the people we support have an acquired brain injury, which may have been caused by

  • Stroke or cerebrovascular accident (CVA)
  • Traumatic injury (e.g. RTA)
  • Anoxic brain injury
  • Infection, such as encephalitis

The brain injury may have happened a long time ago, or quite recently. It is usual, but not critical, that the people we support will have had some residential rehabilitation prior to admission to us. We accept individuals directly from hospital, from residential care or from their homes, subject to our pre-admission assessment determining that we can provide an appropriate support service for them.

Our brain injury community services are for people who experience some/any of the following symptoms:

Alan C.jpg

  • Cognitive problems including thinking, memory, problem solving, learning, awareness and perception
  • Physical impairments that affect mobility, posture or dexterity
  • Communication difficulties
  • Challenging behaviour
  • Health conditions such as epilepsy, asthma, diabetes which can generally be managed by local health services

What do we offer?

In our supported living schemeswe work in partnership with housing associations, offering accommodation with 24 hour shared support provided by our specially trained staff teams. We offer more than 30supported living projects in towns and cities across Englandand deliver one to one support to individuals who live in their own accommodation, alone or with family or friends.

All our service users are supported to develop a person centred support plan which embraces their lifestyle choices whilst ensuring their individual support needs are met. We support service users to participate in a wide range of activities, including activities of daily living, maintaining their tenancy and home, paid or voluntary employment, vocational education and training, and leisure pursuits.

How does the funding work?

Care and support costs are usually funded by statutory services such as adult social care from local authorities, or by individuals through Direct Payments, PIPs or funding from insurance / medico-legal claims. In our supported living schemes, rent and accommodation costs are usually funded by Housing Benefit (provided the tenant is eligible) and we support tenants to pay for their food, utility costs, etc from their personal income and/or welfare benefits.


We accept referrals from a wide range of agencies including health, social services, medico-legal and other specialist providers. Initially we will ask for information about the potential service user, which you can send to us directly or use our secure online referral form. If we think we may be able to meet the needs of the individual with a suitable service we will contact the referrer to arrange a pre-admission screen, usually face to face. The referrer will then receive a copy of the pre-admission screen report, along with recommendations for service provision and costings, if appropriate.

If you would like an informal discussion about our community services, including where we are developing new supported living schemes and where have vacancies in our existing schemes, please contact our Business Development Team:

  • By phone: 0330 0581 881 (making this call will cost the same as a standard landline). Our friendly Central Referrals Team can help to identify what might be the most appropriate service, or if you know the service you require, please contact them directly for an initial discussion.
  • By email:

  • Or use our secure online referrals portal. Watch the demonstration video below or go straight to the portal.

For more information: